9.07.2008

1 diaper, 2 diaper, 3!

What is up world? How is it cracka lackin! Haha so it is Sunday afternoon and I thought I would fill you all in on my life. So after I posted that last post I went to bed and slept like a rock. Apparently some girls had a hard time sleeping because their fear of fleas, but we were told that the house was de fleaded the day before we got there... fewf! Anyway so I woke up saturday at freakin 8 in the morning, yeah 8, be proud, and we went on a city tour. This city is so gorgeous! They have so many shops and markets everywhere. The architecture is also amazing. Anyway so at the end of the tour, our tour guide Ariane put me and two other girls in a taxi and told us that the taxi driver knew where we was going... wrong. He dropped us off in some sketchy place! The two girls I was with spoke no spanish and I spoke enough to get us home but it was still out of control! We had no phone, no address of the house, no nothing! We were three americans with twenty dollars. Well we finally wised up and ended up going to one of the orphanages and found rodrigo's number. Wow it was fantastic. So we came home, made some quick mac and cheese and went to our first shift!!!

So my first shift was at an orphanage run by nuns. Because of laws in ecuador I must change all the names of the orphanages and the children, so we will call this one TT. So TT was great! I was with the children 2 to about 12 and I was with them for six hours. These children are amazing! It is so sad to see how much they need love, it breaks my heart every time one of them runs up and gives me a hug. Anyway so after my shift I came home and we all went shopping. I have already got some awesome things!!! haha

Today was my second shift. I had to wake up at like six thirty. Yeah that will be the time I will be waking up for the next 3 months! So today I was back at TT with the children new born to 2. This was an experience. I have never been thrown up on so many times. These kids are amazing but sooo messy. At first I was so grossed out but I just decided that I need to deal with barf and poo all over me cause that is going to be my wardrobe until I get home. Haha yeah gross, it still freaks me out. Anyway this shift was a lot harder because you have to be playing with these kids, feeding them, and changing them non stop. I changed six diapers today. And people these aren't easy diapers, these are cloth sick diapers, yeah be jealous!

Anyway now I have one of my "offs". We have an off three times a week which is nice. So I work 11 out of 14 shifts. This is harder than I thought but I think it is going to be worth it. I have already felt so much love for these kids that I would rather be no where else. I am glad that the U won on saturday though!! Woo Hoo! I bleed red.. holla. Oh yeah that is another thing, everyone here is from the Y.... wow. Hahaha ok I am off. I love you all!!!!

2 comments:

Casey said...

I am so obsessed with you! I miss you so much, and I hope that you are doing ok. I wish you could have pictures of these adorable little kids! B, you are such a great person for doing this, and know that I love you so so so much.

Kelly said...

Beth......this "getting lost in international locations" really needs to stop! These stories age me......yet make me grin at the same time! Love those sweet babies... you have so much to give!
Love, Mom