5.25.2008

Home Sweet Home


   Oviedo is a beautiful place in northern Spain. Fifteen minutes from a beautiful beach, and ten from high mountains. The people are friendly and the University is great… and this is where I will be living for the next 35 days. After a tearful goodbye with my dad this morning in the airport I sat and waited for four hours until it was my turn to board. After trying to figure out the gate and what flight I was actually suppose to be on I made it to the little airport where I then had to figure out the bus to Oviedo and the time it left. This is where I made my first friend! I don’t know his name but he is from Argentina and is studying to be a dentist. So we talked for a while, I showed him all the pictures I had and he helped me get on the bus. While on the bus I am proudly wearing my U of U sweatshirt (like Fernando told us to do so we could find eachother) I don’t see anyone else in red. Luckily one of the boys in my group found me and we decided to head to the cathedral together in Oviedo when we got off the bus. When I got there I was one of the two in U attire… I am such a dork, but I wear it proudly.

   Haha so after meeting our group we met our house mothers! Mine is great, her name is Maria Luisa and she is probably seventy and speaks absolutely no English. This was great when she was trying to tell what time dinner is served! She is a real OG. Maria hasn’t smiled since I have met her but I will make her laugh soon… you will see. So at this very moment I am sitting in my cute little room that just happens to be yellow… feels like home! And I am waiting for dinner. I am STARVING!! So I decided to open up the Jiffy Peanut Butter my mother so wisely threw in my bag, and dip my fingers in. Yummy. I am actually writing this post in a word document because I don’t have a clue where I am going to find wireless, but I will find it, and when I do I will post this baby.

   That is the update for now. I now know what it feels like to be a stranger in a strange land, or whatever that saying says. I am completely terrified but excited for the next weeks to come. My group seems nice and Maria is cool so this will work out. I better wrap this up because I need to go pray that we eat soon. I love you all, and I will keep you posted on my amazing life. Adios! 

3 comments:

Elise said...

Woman! We miss you! What is OG.... We have no idea what that means. But she sounds nice, and I hope she feeds you. We shall talk to you soon love!

Casey said...

Pumpkin,
I long for you. I can't believe that you will still be gone for so long. We have to chat, I have some news for you. I would facebook you, but I'm at work right now, so that is no bueno. I'm glad Pete is normal, because I feel like I keep running into weirdo religious zealouts. I miss you everyday blondie.

Love,
Casey

Kelly said...

Bethy.... it was so great to talk to you! I am so glad everything is going well. Keep that awesome positive attitude of yours going strong...you are an amazing woman! (With curly hair!) Look out Oviedo!

Love, Mom